Monday, January 14, 2013

Feliz Ano Nuevo!!!! | Week 13

HOLA FAMILIA!

It was so good to talk to you on Christmas it was hands down my favorite part of Christmas. Sorry this email is a couple days late. There wasn't a library in many miles that was open the last two days. I know you are probably worried mom. I am doing just fine :)

Congrats to Sheldon! I love Boston! I am so pumped for him!

Thank you so much again for the call on Christmas. I love you guys so much. I was so happy afterwards. I loved getting to see you all and hear your voices. I am SO blessed to have you all as my eternal family.

Yes it is a new year. I was reflecting alot on this last year for myself. What a crazy year it was for me. I cannot even begin to explain how much I have learned in one year. I have learned so much about myself. I have had to stretch and push myself harder than I ever have this year. I have left home, and had to be completely responsible for myself. I could not have done it all without you guys. Thank you for your support and love. And now to a new year! 2013 is gonna be such a great year for me. Missionaries call it their blackout year. A whole year of my life that I get to devote to serving the Lord. Some of my goals are to become fluent in Spanish (I have a LONG way to go haha) I really most of all want to help others come unto Christ. I want to be a part of bringing people the joy of the gospel that I feel. I know that if I continue to work hard and be obedient the Lord will bless me with success. I want to also come closer myself to the Savior. Another goal that will make you laugh mom, is I want to spend some time practicing this year and re learn how to play the piano. Big mistake to stop learning piano. :)

As for the work here in Duncan. It is going well. We are still teaching the M family, a family that I love SO much. They came to church on Sunday which we were super excited about. We are going to set baptismal dates with them this week. I want them to be baptized so bad. They are so awesome, I wish you guys could meet them. We are also teaching A still who will be getting baptized in February in El Paso! He and his family are awesome, they are pretty much golden investigators. We are also teaching a guy named E, I don't know if I have told you about him. He and his wife M are proof of how the gospel can help all types of people. He and his wife have an insanely rough past full of drugs and violence. E is very childlike and so we teach him very simply, and I am amazed at the spirit at his lessons. He wants a much better life for himself and the gospel can help him! So that's about it as far as people that are progressing. We feel so blessed that we even have people to teach. Alot of missionaries in our zone are really struggling to find people to teach.

We found a scorpion in our bathroom and kept him as a pet. I have learned to do things here I never thought I would do haha like harvesting pecans which are delicious by the way.

We get to do service ALOT here in Duncan which I love to do. We scrubbed one lady's house with tons of smoke damage from a fire for 5 hours the other day which was crazy. We get to do service pretty much every day, and I love it. I think I have told you about Sister D, this lady in our ward is probably one of the funniest people I have ever met. We did our 12 days to her and we do service for her all the time, and then we usually end up talking for a while and she tells us all of her stories from her life. They are seriously amazing. I can't wait to take a road trip back here one day and bring Tanner with me, and he can meet her. She cannot be described, She is so awesome.

I am so thankful last of all for the spirit. I learn something every day from the spirit. I cannot even describe how amazing it is to be able to study the scriptures every day. I finished the Book of Mormon in the MTC, the doctrine and covenants a couple weeks ago, and now I am halfway through the New Testament. I have grown to LOVE the scriptures. I love reading all about the Savior's life in the New Testament. I truly am trying to serve Him as best I can. I encourage you all to make scriptures an every day part of your lives. We have POWER when we feast on the words of Christ. I have felt it. Just this week I was reading and the spirit washed over me and I felt the love of the Savior for me specifically. The scriptures are truly the gateway to revelation. I love you guys so much!!!! I miss you and think of you every day.

LOVE

Elder Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment